ormation about our privacy practices and to help you understand your privacy choices when you use our Sites and Services.
What Personal Data Do We Collect?
We may collect information about you when you visit our Sites or use our Services, including the following:
- Registration and use information – When you register to use our Services by establishing an Account, we will collect Personal Data as necessary to offer and fulfill the Services you request. Depending on the Services you choose, we may require you to provide us with your name, postal address, telephone number, email address, and identification information to establish an Account. We may require you to provide us with additional Personal Data as you use our Services.
- Transaction and experience information – When you use our Services or access our Sites, for example, to make purchases from merchants, to process payments, we collect information about the transaction, as well as other information associated with the transaction such as amount requested, amount paid for products or services, merchant information, including information about any funding instruments used to complete the transaction, Device Information, Technical Usage Data, and Geolocation Information.
- Participant information – When you use our Services or access our Sites, we collect Personal Data you provide us about the other participants associated with the transaction.
- Information that you choose to provide us to obtain additional Services or specific online Services – If you request or participate in an optional Site feature, or request enhanced Services or other elective functionality, we may collect additional information from you. We will provide you with a separate notice at the time of collection if the use of that information differs from the uses disclosed in this Privacy Statement.
- Information about you from third-party sources – We obtain information from third-party sources such as merchants, data providers, and credit bureaus, where permitted by law.
- Other information we collect related to your use of our Sites or Services – We may collect additional information from or about you when you communicate with us, contact our customer support teams or respond to a survey.
Why Do We Retain Personal Data?
We retain Personal Data to fulfill our legal or regulatory obligations and for our business purposes. We may retain Personal Data for longer periods than required by law if it is in our legitimate business interests and not prohibited by law. If your Account is closed, we may take steps to mask Personal Data and other information, but we reserve our ability to retain and access the data for so long as required to comply with applicable laws. We will continue to use and disclose such Personal Data in accordance with this Privacy Statement.
How Do We Process Personal Data?
We may Process your information for the following reasons:
- To operate the Sites and provide the Services, including to:
- initiate a payment, add money to an account, or pay a bill;
- authenticate your access to an Account;
- communicate with you about your Account, the Sites, the Services, or Payunit;
- create an account connection between your Account and a third-party account or platform; and
- perform creditworthiness and other financial standing checks, evaluate applications, and compare information for accuracy and verification purposes.
- keep your Account and financial information up to date.
- To manage our business needs, such as monitoring, analyzing, and improving the Services and the Sites’ performance and functionality. For example, we analyze User behavior and perform research about the way you use our Services.
- To manage risk and protect the Sites, the Services and you from fraud by verifying your identity. Payunit’s risk and fraud tools use Personal Data, Device Information, Technical Usage Data and Geolocation Information from our Sites and websites that offer Payunit Services to help detect and prevent fraud and abuse of the Services.
- To market to you about Payunitproducts and Services and the products and services of unaffiliated businesses. We may also Process your Personal Data to uniquely tailor the marketing content and certain Services or Site experiences to better match your interests on Payunit and other third-party websites.
- To provide you with location-specific options, functionality, or offers if you elect to share your Geolocation Information through the Services. We will use this information to enhance the security of the Sites and Services and provide you with location-based Services, such as advertising, search results, and other personalized content.
- To comply with our obligations and to enforce the terms of our Sites and Services, including to comply with all applicable laws and regulations.
- To make it easier for you to find and connect with others, we may use your information you have shared with the Service to suggest connections between you and people you may know. For example, we may associate information that we learn about you through you and your contacts’ use of the Services, and information you and others provide to suggest people you may know or may want to transact with through our Services. Social functionality and features designed to simplify your use of the Services with others vary by Service.
- To respond to your requests, for example, to contact you about a question you submitted to our customer service team.
Do We Share Personal Data?
We may share your Personal Data or other information about you with others in a variety of ways as described in this section of the Privacy Statement.
We may share your Personal Data or other information for the following reasons:
With other members of the Payunit corporate family: We may share your Personal Data with members of the Payunitfamily of entities, among other things, provide the Services you have requested or authorized; to manage risk; to help detect and prevent potentially illegal and fraudulent acts and other violations of our policies and agreements; and to help us manage the availability and connectivity of Payunit products, Services, and communications.
With other companies that provide services to us: We may share Personal Data with third-party service providers that perform services and functions at our direction and on our behalf. These third-party service providers may, for example, provide you with Services, verify your identity, assist in processing transactions, send you advertisements for our products and Services, or provide customer support.
With other financial institutions: We may share Personal Data with other financial institutions that we have partnered with to jointly create and offer a product, such as with Synchrony Bank in connection with the Payunit Extras credit card. These financial institutions may only use this information to market and offer Payunit-related products, unless you have given consent for other uses. We may also share Personal Data to process transactions, provide you with benefits associated with your eligible cards, and keep your financial information up to date.
With the other parties to transactions when you use the Services, such as other Users, merchants, and their service providers: We may share information about you and your account with the other parties involved in processing your transactions. This includes other Users you are sending or receiving funds from merchants, and their service providers when you use the Services to pay for goods or services. The information includes:
- Personal Data and Account information necessary to facilitate the transaction;
- information to help other participant(s) resolve disputes and detect and prevent fraud; and
- aggregated data and performance analytics to help merchants better understand Users and to help merchants enhance Users’ experiences.
With other third parties for our business purposes or as permitted or required by law: We may share information about you with other parties for Payunit’s business purposes or as permitted or required by law, including:
- if we need to do so to comply with a law, legal process or regulations;
- law enforcement, regulators, government officials, or other jurisdictions that are applicable to Payunit or one of its affiliates; when we need to do so to comply with such law or credit card rules; or when we believe, in our sole discretion, that the disclosure of Personal Data is necessary or appropriate to prevent physical harm or financial loss; or to report suspected illegal activity or to investigate violations of a user agreement;
- to protect the vital interests of a person;
- to protect our property, Services and legal rights;
- to facilitate a purchase or sale of all or part of Payunit’s business;
- in connection with shipping and related services for purchases made using a Service;
- to help assess and manage risk and prevent fraud against us, our Users and fraud involving our Sites or use of our Services, including fraud that occurs at or involves our business partners, strategic ventures, or other individuals and merchants;
- to banking partners as required by card association rules for inclusion on their list of terminated merchants;
- to credit reporting and collection agencies;
- to companies that we plan to merge with or be acquired by; and
- to support our audit, compliance, and corporate governance functions.
With your consent: We also will share your Personal Data and other information with your consent or direction, including if you authorize an account connection with a third-party account or platform.
In addition, Payunit may provide aggregated statistical data to third-parties, including other businesses and members of the public, about how, when, and why Users visit our Sites and use our Services. This data will not personally identify you or provide information about your use of the Sites or Services. We do not share your Personal Data with third parties for their marketing purposes without your consent.
How Do We Work with Other Services and Platforms?
A significant benefit and innovation of Payunit’s Services is that you can connect your Account with a third-party account or platform. For the purposes of this Privacy Statement, an “account connection” with such a third-party is a connection you authorize or enable between your Account and a non-Payunit account, payment instrument, or platform that you lawfully control or own. When you authorize such a connection, Payunit and the third-party will exchange your Personal Data and other information directly. Examples of account connections include:
- connecting your Account to a third-party data aggregation or financial services company, if you provide such company with your Account log-in credentials; or
- using your Account to make payments to a merchant or allowing a merchant to charge your Account.
If you choose to create an account connection, we may receive information from the third-party about you and your use of the third-party’s service. For example, if you connect your Account to a social media account, we will receive Personal Data from the social media provider via the account connection. If you connect your Account to other financial accounts, directly or through a third-party service provider, we may have access to your account balance and transactional information, such as purchases and funds transfers. We will use all such information that we receive from a third-party via an account connection in a manner consistent with this Privacy Statement.
Information that we share with a third-party based on an account connection will be used and disclosed in accordance with the third-party’s privacy practices. Before authorizing an account connection, you should review the privacy notice of any third-party that will gain access to your Personal Data as part of the account connection.
How Do We Protect Your Personal Data?
We maintain technical, physical, and administrative security measures designed to provide reasonable protection for your Personal Data against loss, misuse, unauthorized access, disclosure, and alteration. The security measures include firewalls, data encryption, physical access controls to our data centers, and information access authorization controls. While we are dedicated to securing our systems and Services, you are responsible for securing and maintaining the privacy of your password(s) and Account/profile registration information and verifying that the Personal Data we maintain about you is accurate and current. We are not responsible for protecting any Personal Data that we share with a third-party based on an account connection that you have authorized.
What Else Should You Know?
Changes to This Privacy Statement.
We may revise this Privacy Statement from time to time to reflect changes to our business, the Sites or Services, or applicable laws. The revised Privacy Statement will be effective as of the published effective date.
If the revised version includes a substantial change, we will provide you with 30 days prior notice by posting notice of the change on the “Policy Update” page of our website. We also may notify Users of the change using email or other means.
Transfers of Your Personal Data to Other Countries
Our operations are supported by a network of computers, cloud-based servers, and other infrastructure and information technology, including, but not limited to, third-party service providers. We and our third-party service providers store and Process your Personal Data in the United States of America and elsewhere in the world. We will protect your information as described in this Privacy Statement if your Personal Data is transferred to other countries. By using our Sites and Services, you consent to your Personal Data being transferred to other countries, including countries that have different data protection rules than your country. We do not represent that our Sites and Services are appropriate or available in any particular jurisdiction.
You may contact us if you have general questions about our Privacy Statement and practices or questions about your Account information or Personal Data.
We want to make sure your questions go to the right place:
- Click here to contact us about your Payunit account